Note: The images are for reference purpose only.
Planter is not included.
String of Bananas Plant
- Reviews (0)
The String of Bananas, also known as Senecio radicans, is a unique and trailing succulent plant that is named after its distinctive banana-shaped leaves. It is a member of the Asteraceae family and is native to South Africa.
The String of Bananas has long, cascading stems that can reach several feet in length. The stems are lined with small, curved leaves that resemble tiny bananas, hence its name. These leaves are a vibrant green color and have a slightly translucent appearance. This succulent is an excellent choice for hanging baskets or elevated planters, as its trailing growth habit creates a beautiful cascading effect. It is a low-maintenance plant that requires bright, indirect light to thrive. Direct sunlight should be avoided, as it can scorch the leaves.
Instruction for planting:
- String of bananas do best in porous, well-draining soil.
- Wait until the soil is dried out before watering.
- Choose a location with bright, indirect light.
- String of bananas thrives in warm weather.
- Use string to support trailing vines.
- Prune the plant to encourage growth.
Instruction for care:
- Light: Place the String of Bananas in bright, indirect light. Avoid direct sunlight, as it can burn the leaves.
- Watering: Water the plant when the top inch of soil feels dry. Allow the soil to partially dry out between waterings to prevent overwatering.
- Soil: Use a well-draining soil mix suitable for succulents. Good drainage is essential to prevent root rot.
- Temperature: Keep the plant in a temperature range of 60-80°F (15-26°C). Protect it from extreme temperature fluctuations.
- Humidity: The String of Bananas prefers average to low humidity levels.
- Pruning: Trim the plant to maintain its shape and prevent legginess. You can also propagate cuttings to grow new plants.
- Fertilizer: Feed the plant with a balanced, water-soluble fertilizer diluted to half strength during the growing season (spring and summer). Follow the instructions on the fertilizer packaging.
- Pests: Monitor the plant for common succulent pests like mealybugs or spider mites. Treat any infestations promptly.
- Dormancy: The String of Bananas may have a period of dormancy during winter. Reduce watering and provide slightly cooler temperatures during this time.